1.25.2008

Priceless

Priceless

Sheet of roofing metal = $5.50
Dismantled bamboo chair = free (I owned it)
Hair rubber bands used to hold it all together = .99 for 100

Getting my socks white again without bloody knuckles = priceless



This is my newly constructed washing board. I can’t express in words what this has done for my life. I used to dread laundry, and my socks never really got clean and my blue jeans really never got clean. It only took about two hours to make. I wasn’t sure how I was going to use the bamboo, but it turns out that while I had the chair upside down, taking it apart, I sat up and thought, hey, this works, I can do laundry like this. So, I sit on the back and lean forward, run my soapy wet clothes along the zinc and my knuckles aren’t scrubbed to death and cut up anymore. After I washed the first sock, I just sat there, holding in it my hands, staring down at how white it had become. I was really stunned. I’m so glad for my Cajun roots, otherwise, I don’t know if I’d have thought this up. Life is goooood.

Is there anything better than…

Over-ripe plantains, lightly brushed with olive oil, and sprinkled with cinnamon and nutmeg, cooked to a wonderful, warm, golden brown, topped with cold, fresh papaya and a tomato, cucumber, avocado salad on the side? Hmmm, I can’t think of anything at the moment. Trust me, it was delicious.


I think I might have a plan

1/24/08 Sunday night, I sat in this house, again feeling frustrated and confused about being here. I sat here and prayed from the deepest part of me, begging to be shown what it is I am really doing here and how is it that I’m supposed to help. (I’ve been approached for money several times recently by people I thought we genuinely interested in my friendship and its weighing heavy on my chest, increasing the loneliness and isolation to an unimaginable degree). I set out Monday with a positive attitude and an open mind, hoping to see some area where I can be usefull.
When I get to work, the Director of the Environment Dept. asked me to come to his office because he felt like he could use my help. He showed me a project that involves traveling to each outlying village and documenting every water source and every important environmental factor that affects these waters sources. He also explained that from this data, we can create a map of the district, which they do not have.
Well, wouldn’t you know, just last week, some IT guy told me he downloaded a few new programs on the computer at the office and when I looked at them, one of them just happens to be Auto Cad. What are the chances that I’d have access to Auto Cad in Ghana, much less in the impoverished Upper West? I guess pretty good, considering. So, I told him I’d be so happy to help him. I walked around in a daze just sort of digesting it all, so many thoughts crossing my mind, like, little puzzle pieces falling into place effortlessly. I began to think about my job with the engineering firm, where I created maps in Auto Cad and how it was preparation for this experience and how amazing that this man asked for my help, not having any idea that I have experience with any of it.
I noticed today how fast January has gone by and I feel like maybe I am really still getting used to everything. Sometimes I feel like I’ve been gone forever and other times I’m shocked that its almost been 5 months. Still trying to focus on each day as it comes.

Is there anything better than…

Over-ripe plantains, lightly brushed with olive oil, and sprinkled with cinnamon and nutmeg while cooking to a wonderful, warm, golden brown. Topped with cold, fresh papaya with a tomato, cucumber and avocado salad on the side? Hmmm, I can’t think of anything at the moment. Trust me, it was delicious.

No comments: