10.01.2007

September ends...

Vision Quest, 5 Days, don’t know the dates

I traveled north to Wulugu for my Vision Quest and spent a few days with a Science teacher. It was really relaxing. She showed me her village which is really laid back and then she became very ill and had to stay in bed. So I walked and read a lot and just rested, all of which I needed badly. I finished reading “A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius” by David Eggers, which I highly recommend. It was awesome and I was sad it ended. Then I traveled 8 hours in a tightly packed tros to arrive in Techiman to meet up with everyone at the Dery hotel. We spent three wonderful nights there, with a shower and fan! We’ve been training everyday, learning language and culture and everything there is to know about Ghana.

African dancing, Friday, September 28

On Friday, we danced to African drumming, in a circle, while people sang. It was so amazing. I closed my eyes and really got into finding my own rhythm. We danced for hours. We were sweaty and smiling and happy and everyone was united. We will do this every Friday until the end of training. I love it.

Meeting my home stay family…, Saturday, September 29

On Saturday, we packed our bags at the hotel and prepared to meet our host families. All of the Ghanaian families began arriving with father, mother and children gathering around wearing traditional clothing and looking just as nervous as we were. The volunteers sat across from the families and there was a touching speech about the day that President Kennedy shook hands with the Ghanaian president in 1961 introducing the very first group of Peace Corps volunteers. It is here, on this same land that I will be sworn in. I love being a part of this.
So, my name was called and I met my family and hugged them, my heart racing, so extremely nervous. We sat for several uncomfortable minutes under a tree, the father shy, the mother speaking not a single word of English, me not able to remember any Twi. I thought, wow, what a long couple of months I’m going to embark upon. Then we loaded ALL of my extremely heaving bags into the Taxi and left for Forikrom.
When we arrived, they brought me to my room. It is bright blue and very nice. (This is where I should explain Ghana Good, it means it is really good for Ghana. Ha ha ) so my home and room and everything are better than I expected. The house is five rooms in an L shape that all open to the outside which is where the livestock live. We do have electricity!!! But it goes off for a little while every night, which is when I become awe struck by the deep black sky and amazing stars.
There is an open air kitchen, but the mother cooks everything out in the open over a fire and prepares all of our meals, making special meals for me because I can not yet handle their food and my water and such must be prepared differently. There is a small outdoor room for bucket bathing, which is delightful because the mother heats my water each morning and night and I almost tear up from joy. I have not had hot showers since I left and I love love love warm bucket baths now. There is a latrine, which has a seat and is like a real toilet, almost. It is a little room outside as well, but I think I am the only one who uses it, I have never seen anyone else going in or out. AND, drumroll please, I am a pro, no problems there with the latrine, I’m all good guys. (I was terrified, but its fine)
There are four kids: 4, 10, 17, and 23. They speak English, Yay!!! I’m so grateful.
They are amazed by my CD player, but I haven’t pulled out my computer yet because I do not want them to think I am rich. They will want me to bring them things everyday from town and I do not have the funds for it. I do, however, have plenty of money to live on right now. I get what is called “walk around money” and it is fine.

The following morning, we went to meet the Chief. My host father took me and the ceremony was pretty cool. They passed around a bottle of Gin and when I declined, my host father questioned me. I told him it makes me sick, he did not understand, if he only knew just how sick…

Speaking of drinking, there is so much drinking here its insane, among Peace corps volunteers especially. I have told many people about my sobriety, I do not want to isolate myself. They just know that I don’t drink, but not necessarily why. A few people know and I’m comfortable with this for now.

Ok, that’s all for this entry. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

The “Rocks”, Sunday, September 30

Sunday, after meeting the Chief, a group of us joined together and followed these Ghanaian kids to the mountains. They are called the Rocks and we hiked and climbed until we were above the village, and several villages and then we sat a looked out over beautiful Africa. I can not describe how wonderful this was. We also went to a few caves where I took some really cool pictures. As soon as I can, I will upload the pics. I love and miss everyone. Please write, I need letters…

Oh and by the way, tomorrow, I find out where I’m going for the remainder of my time in Ghana!!!

My Site!, October 1, 2007

I just found out where my site is, Upper West Region in a village called Jirapa. I am so excited. I will be working with people on nutrition, health, stress management, water sources, tourism, and I will work with a group of women running a bakery. I am so excited. Oh and I have a two room house with a bathroom and electricity!!! I still have to get my water from a well, but who cares, I’ll have a fan and music!!! I can not say how excited I am. I knew after the first week that I really really really wanted electricity so that I could write on my computer and charge things and have music. Also, the power gets shut off so frequently, you only live with it a portion of the time, so you still get magnificent stars. So it’s the best of both worlds.

There is a market in my town, and two festivals with drumming and dancing. I can’t wait to meet everyone, I will go there in a few weeks for a visit. I am thrilled you guys. I love you all so much. Please go to sleep tonight knowing I am very very happy. Peace, love and hugs.

7 comments:

Matthew Snyder said...

You don't know me. I'm a friend of Brenna Powers, another volunteer that's with you there right now. She's pretty much my best friend. I just wanted to say though that I love reading your posts. You give me a different perspective that she doesn't give me through email or over the phone. Keep doing what you're doing. It's incredible. And although I don't know you, I'm praying for you too.

Anonymous said...

Miss Erica...I could never express enough how proud of you I am. I love you so much...I will write soon.

Anonymous said...

Erica,

You don't know me but I'm very good friends with Terri (I think she was your roommate in Philly). She's not the first to run to the internet so I'm terribly grateful you're blogging. I feel like I'm keeping up a little with her through you. I admire all of you so much, you're phenomenal people.

Shelly from San Francisco

RRW said...

Erica,

I am so glad to hear that you are so happy there. I miss you tremendously and am thinking about you often. I love you and can't wait for your next post.

Love,
Becca White

Anonymous said...

Hi Erica--I'm very proud of you. Your blog postings are so interesting that I feel like I'm there--- what a different world it is. Your open-mindedness will take you so far on this new journey, and what stories you'll have to tell for years and years to come--I promise I'll send you a snail-mail letter--Love, Aunt B

Anonymous said...

Erica, Pray for George. His disease has taken over once again. I love you and I miss you. I wish I could talk to you right now. On a brighter note, I'm enjoying your little stories. What is the Chiefs name? I am so happy that you have part-time electricity! I'll write you soon. love you xoxoxox Adria

Anonymous said...

I am soooo excited and happy for you! I can't wait to read all about your next ventures there. Once again, if you need ANYTHING you let me know and I will get it to you over-night. I don't care about the cost! I am so glad you are finding your way there. you were meant to do this! i love and miss you! keep writing you are so inspiring! Your a good writer too!
Tara Milam