9.22.2007

My new home

(As I write this, I am riding in a tros tros through around the edge of a mountan with forest to my left and valley to my right.) Africa is what I imagined it to be but better. Today I cried as we drove into the mountains. The view was overwhelming. My new home. I know that so much of this is dependent upon perception and I can't help but thank God all times of the day for mine. I have decided to write a book of letters to my niece and nephew. I have the perfect book to use that someone gave me as a gift before leaving. Every chance I get, I meditate on giving, on healing, on loving. Often, I try to give to those who have become sick on our journey. Everyday I meditate on each of my organs and my muscles and tissue and blood being healthy and renewed. When I open my eyes, I feel amazing. Try it. I truly believe it works and allows me to better serve and love others. I am not too sad about being away. I feel that this journey is my gift to my friends and family. I am being shaped and molded to better love at home. This thought makes my heart jump. One thing I find pretty amazing is that everyone here wants to help you. I am learning how to receive, something that isn't always easy for me and definitely not what I imagined I'd learn in this experience. In order to integrate, I must give in and accept their assistance as they accept mine. I know some of you are smiling right now, especially those of you who know me so well. Another amazing thing that has happened is that my malaria medicine helps with acne. After years of battling with this and finally winning, I was somewhat worried that coming here and changing diet and everything else would adversely affect my progress. My skin is radiant. How amazing? Again, I am so utterly grateful. Once again I am given everything I need. I have not yet made contact with AA since I arrive because we have not had the opportunity to use the phone but I plan to when I get the change.
It isn't all perfect. There have been hard tasks and so much traveling and so many different personalities (48 of us) can be trying. The change in diet has been tough. At first I wasn't eating enough but I am now. I feel great and don't feel like mentioning the tough times today. Trust me, you'll hear about them eventually. I love you all and send you hugs and love. Love always.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erica I am so happy for you and I cannot wait to take this journey with you though your pictures and blogs. I will be praying for you, I love you! Meghan

Anonymous said...

WOW! I am utterly amazed by your strength and your willingness. You are definately an inspiration. Good luck with on your journey. Take care!
Kylii

Anonymous said...

erica
what a wonderful blog. i will be anxiously looking forward to the next chapter.
god bless you
miss susan K

JeffDeWitt said...

Erica,

Thanks again for sharing this with us, the word picture you created was fascinating and like many of us I look forward to your next post.

I also now know what a Tro-Tros is!

Jeff

Anonymous said...

As I already knew. you would be fine there. Your descriptions are beautiful. I can't wait for the pictures. Look for an email from me today. Love Mom

keisha said...

so i am so happy for you...i am sending you good energy....because thats what you would like...i hope things are going well....keisha

Joycelyn said...

I think it's wonderful that you can step into a new adventure, so far away from home, with such excitement and a positive attitude. I'm looking forward to experiencing it with you through your pictures and the well-articulated descriptions of your sights and your feelings.

You will be constantly in my prayers.

Ms. Joycelyn

Anonymous said...

For some reason after taking a look at your site I'm reminded of that catipillar book I gave you. What a strong resemblance. I love you so much. xoxoxo Adria