7.14.2008

Requiem to My Misperception

Epilogue

After closing the computer last time, I sat on my sofa and took a deep breath, trying to digest all that I’d realized.

Then, I looked to my right at the basket of books next to the couch. The one on top, with its bright orange and red cover, caught my eye and almost in search of an answer to the questions I’d just posed, I picked it up and read the back cover.

It “describes how our attachment to the ego creates…unhappiness.” The book is called A New Earth by Eckart Tolle, which Chad brought during his visit. I opened it and began to read.

Just like that, I moved on. How quickly after seeing the truth revealed, can I no longer recall the falsity I perceived minutes before. It seems as though I’d always known the world was this way and since then I’ve just carried on. I’m making it sound smaller than it felt at the time, but now, it really is that small. Right?

I’ve said so much about those bad days but I want to mention some of the equally good ones I was having…

I learned how to build with bamboo and for a tenth of the cost, I was able to purchase enough bamboo to make the two remaining doors for the bakery. I began cleaning out the library and reorganizing all of it and now people are beginning to hear about it. Last week, I got a nearby school involved and they are coming on Friday to help me! I was able to distribute more than 600 moringa seeds and I planted 135 trees and the word is getting out about how nutritious it is. I’ve met about 11 other female volunteers from France, Holland, Japan and Canada, all who feel exactly the same way I do about being here and about development work and I am again reminded that I’m not so unique. What a concept.

Today, I’m traveling to Wa to paint an HIV Mural with the students from the school for the deaf. I’m really looking forward to it.

One thing that sobriety has taught me is that no matter what I must suit up and show up, even if my ass falls off. So I’ve just continued getting up everyday and doing what there is to do and, of course, it all keeps changing.

Mural

Here is a picture of the mural, painted and designed by deaf students in Wa under our supervision. This was the first time that they’ve received any HIV education in the Upper West. Before now, the hearing impaired weren’t included in the lessons for prevention. A few months ago, we taught a few classes using sign language and now, they are able to teach the classes to younger students. Then we had a design competition and in the end, we combined a few designs to create the one we painted on the wall of the school.

The students had to go to lunch, so we snapped this picture at the last minute without them. Next week, we’ll present each student with a certificate of thanks and have a little party, I’ll post those pictures when I have them.

It was a completely beautiful experience.

No comments: